Time to Address How We Dress Editorial

Students+stand+side+by+side+wearing+variations+of+uniform+pants.+These+two+boys+demonstrate+the+differences+between+what+many+others+wear+to+school+and+the+traditional+AA+pants.+

Students stand side by side wearing variations of “uniform pants.” These two boys demonstrate the differences between what many others wear to school and the traditional AA pants.

Pedro Schmeil and Daniella Tosca

For as long as we can remember, students at Gulliver have always worn the same kind of uniforms. Proper AA Uniform attire is mandatory to avoid detention, which has been increased to two hours for dress code violations.

Circumstances have changed and we as a school have evolved. Last year, the boys could not have beards and students were not allowed to be expressive with hair color and style. But now, the rules allow for facial hair and different hair color t as long as it does not distract others.

Unlike the new hair policies, the old “AA uniform” has not risen to the occasion. Students are always encouraged to feel good about themselves. But it is hard to radiate confidence when students don’t feel comfortable in their daily attire, and often have to get the already-pricey pants, altered to fit their bodies. This point brings up the heavy price tag of uniforms. Students have repeatedly complained about their uniform clothes. They claim they shrink, the zippers break, and seams come apart.

Many people feel confused about why we have to buy specific pants when cheaper, better quality pants that fit everyone and virtually look the same are all over the market. Regular khaki pants range from $30 to $35 at AA uniform, however, places like American Eagle, Hollister, and Gap offer the same looking pants for less than $20, and students say they are a comfier, more durable and better fit.

There are pros to uniforms. Not having to worry about what to wear in the morning and not stressing about if your clothes are acceptable to other peers is a big plus. It’s understandable that the school wishes to look professional as a preparatory establishment, but students don’t look professional if the uniform doesn’t fit all body types. We look just as uniform and professional in similar styles of pants given the options that we are all asking for.

We should not completely get rid of uniforms but we would suggest making some changes. Students should only be required for students to have the proper polo or gulliver T-shirt and visible ID. Instead of wearing the school pants, there should be specified colors and rules so students can buy whatever pants they feel more comfortable in as long as it fits requirements.

Yes, administrators have made changes. But the wants and needs of the students have still not been addressed. It’s time to address how we dress, and it is time for the administration to listen.