Discussing The “iPhony” Conspiracy

iPhone X (Apple)

It seems to happen every release; Apple launches a new generation of iPhones into the market, and quickly outrage spews concerning phones everywhere miraculously glitching and lagging. These widespread occurrences have made consumers believe that software companies intentionally cause technical failure in old smart-phones as incentive to buy newly-released products.

According to The New York Times, the titans of Silicon Valley claim that the lagging of previous models are not a part of a grand malicious scheme. The correlation between the sluggish nature of previous phones and the reveal of new and updated ones is apparently a coincidence. Supporters of Apple claim that the slow network many users are experiencing is a result of the new hardware being introduced to the company’s operating systems. These IOS upgrades can be lengthy and very complex, and apparently cause temporary lagging in all iphones.

The slowness and defaults in our phones are much more than a software update problem. IOS updates are a reasonable explanation as to why accessories such as Safari and iCloud may be backed up, but this does not account for the many other problems many users experience. Other technical difficulties that have raised concerns are poor audio connection and weak touch detection.

My biggest annoyance is that my Iphone 6S began shutting off although
it was fully charged. After notifications about software updates and extending
my iCloud, a new notification spanned across my screen notifying me that the charging cable I had been using for two years was no longer compatible with my device. I don’t usually consider myself
to be a “conspiracy theorist,” but the situation is overall sketchy. It all makes perfect sense — consumers are motivated to trade out their out-of-style, slow phone for a new, sleek model. Although this is a clever marketing tactic, Apple’s strategy is inconvenient and expensive for its customers.