Cross Country looks to use experience for strong finish

Tyler Perez, Sports

Senior Franco Caputo crosses the finish line at the King of the Hill meet. Caputo is one of the captains of the team. He has been on the team since his freshman year. Photo by Tyler Perez.

Cross Country began practicing in mid Jun. to prepare for their fall season. The team had a successful meet at their had their first race at Wickham Park on Aug. 20.

They followed up with a third place finish on Aug. 27 at Archbishop McCarthy HS. Their performance was highlighted by sixth place finisher, senior Ryan Pino. Fellow seniors Franco Caputo and Michael Garcia finished in the top 20.

“I was very proud of the way our team finished in the race last week, I do think we can continue to strive for better and improve as the season goes along,” said senior Michael Garcia.

The girls varsity team finished second in the same race highlighted by a first place finish by freshman Natalie Varela. The girls have played well in the other meets thus far, finishing in 12th place at the King of the Hill Event on Sep. 9.

Senior Franco Caputo said, “I am really impressed with the improvements I have seen from my fellow teammates, as they have put a lot of time and effort into this over the summer.”

The team has a lot of veteran talent and the majority of the squad have been running with the team since their freshman year.

“Our biggest strength is that we have many runners who have a lot of potential and are motivated to succeed. I think we could surprise a lot of people,” said senior Tejas Srivitasav.