• May 10 - Seniors' Last Day
  • May 20 - Last day to submit entries for Reflections Literary Magazine
  • May 24 - Last Day of School

Luis Miguel: A Multigenerational Gem

When Luis Miguel is ready to go on stage, the sun on the screen rises as a representation of his nickname “The Sun of Mexico”. His nickname is a reference to his mother, who gave him the name “My Sun” when he was a child.

Mexican sensation Luis Miguel brought his much-anticipated concert tour to Miami’s Kaseya Center last Friday night. 

In case you are not familiar, Luis Miguel is a Mexican singer whose worldwide success has spanned over five decades and many different generations of music lovers.

While the concert lasted a brief 90 minutes, it was packed with songs from different genres, a lighting show, music videos, and colorful confetti. The musical genres Luis Miguel sang included Pop, Boleros, Mariachi, and Rock. Luis Miguel, also referred to as “El Sol de Mexico”, began the show with some of his most popular hits, including “Sera Que No Me Amas”. He then sang boleros from his Romance albums, followed by Mexican songs accompanied by Mariachi, “La Bikina” and “La Media Vuelta”, and he ended the concert with his most popular early pop songs. The crowd sang along to every song for the non-stop 90 minute spectacle. Two special moments of the night was when he did voice-over duets with Frank Sinatra and Michael Jackson. El Sol de Mexico paid homage to Sinatra by singing “Come Fly With Me” while Sinatra’s image and voice were shown on a background screen. With Jackson, Luis Miguel sang “Smile” in Spanish while a recording of Jackson sang it in English.

This concert was a rare opportunity for me as three generations of my family enjoyed the same artist all together: my grandmother, mother, and I. My grandmother enjoyed the bolero songs that were originally written in the 1930s and 1940s like “Nostros” and “Como yo te ame” and my mother danced and sang to the songs that marked her generation like “No Se Tu”, “Amor”, and the supremely popular “La Incondicional”. My favorite part was the end when Miguel sang teenage classics like “Cuando Calienta El Sol”, “La Chica del Bikini Azul” and, of course, “Ahora Te Puedes Marchar”.

It’s not often that three generations share something in common. Luis Miguel’s discography has transcended generations with his ability to sing songs from different eras. His concert gave me an opportunity to have one more thing in common with my grandmother and mother, which is something to cherish. 

Luis Miguel has sold more than 60 million albums worldwide. He began singing at the age of 12. He is one of those rare artists who has not crossed over to the American market but yet has been able to maintain a long career. He is also famous for his well publicized relationship off stage with models, celebrities, and even Mariah Carey. While I originally went to hear the early pop songs of his career, I left appreciating his showmanship, voice, and appreciating new songs.