Dolphins Lose Against Bills and See Room For Improvement

TNS
Miami Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa (1) calls out signals during the first half against the Buffalo Bills at Highmark Stadium on Oct. 1, 2023, in Orchard Park, New York. (Al Diaz/Miami Herald/TNS)

The Miami Dolphins took their first season loss against the Buffalo Bills this Sunday, now holding a 3-1 record. The final score was 48-20, with the Bills taking first place in the AFC East. There are plenty of takeaways to grab from this game and see how the Dolphins move forward, in their defensive plays.

This game was a tough watch. The Dolphins defense gave up nearly 50 points which is unacceptable, especially with this current roster. Many predicted before the season that the Dolphins’ defensive front were going to be top-five in the league. With Jaelan Phillips, Christian Wilkins, and Bradley Chubb leading the way, Miami still couldn’t pressure Bills quarterback, Josh Allen as he threw for four touchdowns and rushed for one. On the other hand, Bills receiver Stefon Diggs also had three touchdown catches. The Dolphins pass offense desperately needs Jalen Ramsey back because their secondary looks like they cannot compete with top receivers.

However, this was just one performance and the Bills are a dominant team in the league. Also, Tua Tagovailoa is historically known to lose at Highmark Stadium, where the game took place. Tagovailoa is 0-4 in games played there. Speaking of Tua, he had a mediocre game. The Dolphins offense was electric in the first quarter, but they broke down after scoring only six points in the second half. The Bills were playing a Cover 2 defense the whole game which means having two safeties over top. This gives the Bills cornerbacks help to cover Dolphins’ speedsters Jaylen Waddle and Tyreek Hill. Most of this game from the Dolphins’ offense were medium throws and handoffs. The good news is that Head coach Mike McDaniel can learn from this game and see what he can improve on moving forward. The best takeaway from this game was definitely the outstanding rookie running back, De’Von Achane. This is his second game with over 100 yards rushing and multiple touchdowns. 

Even though the Bills stole first place in the division from Miami, there is still a whole season left. The Dolphins can learn from this game and should have an easy win at home next week. After all, this Dolphins team is still one of the best in the league. Losing to another great team isn’t necessarily something to overreact about. 

Next Sunday the Dolphins face the New York Giants. Things to look for in that game are the zone defense Miami plays, the passing game, and of course the rookie stud, De’Von Achane. Hopefully, Miami can bounce back next week and move up in the rankings.