• May 10 - Seniors' Last Day
  • May 20 - Last day to submit entries for Reflections Literary Magazine
  • May 24 - Last Day of School

Top-Ten Must-Try Items at Trader Joe’s

The Kibbeh are an ideal addition to a Mediterrean-inspired meal. Made with the traditional ingredients, but with a unique twist, their flavor was enhanced when paired with the brand’s Tzatziki Creamy Garlic Cucumber Dip. They were best eaten warm and crispy after a few minutes in a conventional oven.

For many, Trader Joe’s is a foodie destination, complete with unique and brand-specific treats at affordable prices. With so many items to choose from, here’s a countdown of ten items you don’t want to miss.
10.  Old-Fashioned Apple Cider Donuts are the perfect sweet treat to usher in the autumn season. This limited edition item features a soft interior with a fluffy exterior with a cinnamon sugar coating,creating the nostalgic memory of receiving a warm, soft donut on a cool autumn morning. Pair it with a cup of coffee to enhance its flavors or simply enjoy as is. Since each box has six, they are the ultimate treat to share among friends and family, especially with hot cocoa. Each package retails at $4.49/15.9 Oz
9.  Apple & Pumpkin Hand Pies are another limited edition item released for autumn. Combining two fall favorites in one very convenient mini treat, these are perfect for picnics, work lunches, or any moment that calls for an indulgent dessert, especially since they are easy to enjoy without utensils. Created with a mixture of pumpkin puree, peeled Northern Sky apples, cream, and pumpkin pie spice, and encased in the very buttery, flaky crush, these are best eaten after being warmed in the oven, with a scoop of TJ’s year-round French Vanilla Bean ice cream. Each four-pack retails at $4.49/8.47 Oz
8. Their Blueberry Muffins are a classic option for breakfast, dessert, or for a snack. Available as a four-pack, each muffin has a light, cake-like texture and features the perfect combination of tart and sweet, with a hint of lemon zest, bountiful appearance of blueberries and a sprinkled sugar crumb topping. Tasty either cold from the refrigerator, or warm from the oven or microwave. Each package retails $4.99/14 Oz
7. The store’s  cheese department is not to be missed. Cheeses available range from classic cheddar options to international ones, including Manchego, which is native to Spain. While I don’t have a particular one to highlight, all are perfect for a quick snack, grilled cheese, and they are the ultimate addition to any charcuterie board, complete with the brand’s Fig & Olive Crisps. Prices range from $4.99-$13.00
6. The Kibbeh, marketed as a Middle Eastern Stuffed Meatball, is a perfect snack or side. Popular in Mediterranean cuisine and Middle Eastern countries, Kibbeh is a combination of beef, cracked bulgur wheat, onions, and seasoning. However, it wouldn’t be TJ’s version if they were made without a twist. This unique version has the addition of extra ground beef within the breading. While the taste of the meat is very pronounced, the others flavors also shine. They are best made in a conventional oven until they are warm and crispy, and go great with TJ’s garlic or Tzatziki Dip. Each package of six retails at $4.99/ 11 Oz
5.  The Focaccia Bread with Roasted Tomato and Parmesan is the brand’s tasty version of the traditional Italian loaf. Not only is this is a nod to the Italian favorite but the brand does not stray away from the bread’s roots, baking it in the traditional hearth oven used for focaccia. With its crispy but light texture, the focaccia is then topped with extra-virgin olive oil, aromatic herbs that open up your taste buds, and a dusting of Parmesan. Use as a side dish for pasta or dip in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Each loaf retails for $4.99/14 Oz
4. The Organic Cacio e Pepe Puffs are the quintessential snack for movie-watching, or just because. Inspired by the flavors of the iconic Italian dish, the puffs are the lighter replacement of a traditional cream-laden dish. Each bite has the ideal combination of cheddar (an addition made by Trader Joe’s) and Romano cheese (the traditional cheese used in the dish) with black pepper. The package retails for $2.49/4.9 Oz
3. If you spot the Cacio e Pepe Gnocchi at the stores’ frozen aisle, be sure to pick one up. This is another superb rendition of the recognizable dish, albeit with a non-traditional pasta pairing. The gnocchi have the best balance of the perfect cheesy goodness, while not being overly rich, and has a good amount of black pepper. While it can be prepared in the microwave for about 5 to 6 minutes, the stovetop method (6 to 7) is the best way to go to guarantee a flavor explosion at the first bite, and the many more to come. The package retails for $2.99/16 Oz
2.  Hold the Cone! mini ice cream cones are some you don’t want to miss. Available in a variety of flavors, including Vanilla, Chocolate, Cookies ‘n Cream, each mini ice cream cone has a chocolate shell, making for the perfect contrast with the cool, smooth ice cream underneath. Each box usually retails for $3.99/7.9 Oz
1. Trader Joe’s own Hashbrowns, made with Idaho potatoes, reign supreme within the world of grocery store breakfast options. These potatoes are reminiscent of a certain fast-food chain’s version of this breakfast classic, however, they are not overly greasy and easy to prepare. Packaged fully cooked, they are ready to be enjoyed after a few minutes in a skillet or an oven. Each package includes 10 and retails at $2.79/22.5 Oz