History-Making Release of “Spider-Man: No Way Home”

Matt Kennedy/Sony Pictures/TNS

MJ (Zendaya) and Spider-Man (Tom Holland) jump off a bridge in “Spider-Man: No Way Home.”

Jade Garcia, Social Media Editor

Marvel’s new and highly anticipated movie Spider-Man: No Way Home made history and became one of the top 10 highest grossing films of all time. 

Over a month ago, Spider-Man fans got what they’ve been waiting for with the new movie. This film completes the trilogy for the Spider-Man movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). According to Rotten Tomatoes, the Spider-Man movie has a 98% audience score. The movie began grossing more and more each day since its release day. Eventually, it kept going up on the list and passed Titanic’s original gross number and continued going up.

Many students contributed to the film’s box-office blast by watching Spider-Man: No Way Home on opening night, while others were able to snatch tickets for premiere night, where they could watch the movie a day before its official release. 

Junior Alexandra Valiente got her tickets early and was able to watch the movie on premiere day.

“Everyone was waiting for this movie so getting tickets was super difficult, but I was still able to get some,” Valiente said. “I loved being able to experience it with people that were seeing it for the first time and experience such raw emotion.”

Videos on the internet blew up of people in movie theaters screaming in reaction to the movie. Fans reported that their movie theater was even louder than when they first experienced Marvel’s 2019 hit Avengers: Endgame. For many, Spider-Man: No Way Home was a big deal. Sophomore Maya Pace, who has been a fan for years, described her experience as something that left her speechless for days. 

“My movie theater was so loud, which helped me connect with everyone there even if I didn’t know them,” Pace said. “We were all there for the same reason, which was to enjoy the movie, as fans who have connected with the characters for a long time. It felt like I went through the five stages of grief all in one sitting with a whole crowd going through the same thing. It was the best.” 

As for some, the movie wasn’t all that special as people made it seem. According to a poll sent to all students, only 5.6% of 121 students who responded said they didn’t enjoy the movie, while 94.4% responded that they did enjoy the movie. Overall, Spider-Man: No Way Home was a very successful release that lived up to many fans’ high expectations.