Junior Sedrick Irvin Jr. Signs with the University of Notre Dame

Jen Uccelli

Junior Sedrick Irvin Jr. with his parents at his signing ceremony. Irvin Jr. committed to the University of Notre Dame on Sept. 22.

Ian Uccelli, Assistant Sports Editor

On Sept. 22, junior football player Sedrick Irvin Jr. committed to the University of Notre Dame. Irvin Jr. is a four-star running back and, according to 247 Sports, one of the top 200 players in the United States.

“I felt like [Notre Dame] was just a great fit for me, and when I went up to visit, I liked the campus and the coaches and everything about it,” Irvin Jr. said.

Irvin’s father, Sedrick Irvin Sr., is a former NFL player and attended Michigan State University. Irvin Jr. trained with his father throughout his life, and following in his father’s footsteps, Irvin Jr. also received an offer Michigan State. However, he ultimately decided to decline it.

“[My dad] is really big on what’s the best fit for me, so it wasn’t a big deal,” Irvin Jr. said.

Irvin Jr. transferred to Gulliver from Westminster Christian as a freshman. Throughout his three years as a Raider, he has become an integral member of the team.

I’ve become close with Sed since high school. We work out with each other everyday and we used to lift before school my junior and sophomore year,” said senior quarterback Carson Haggard. “With the running back-QB connection, I think we have a really good bond.”

Irvin Jr. has been coached by many people throughout his football career, but his current coach is Head Coach Earl Sims. 

“Sedrick brings a lot of passion, poise and power to our team. I think he is one of the vocal leaders who gets everybody’s attention especially when he gets fired up,” said Sims. “I think he is an explosive running back that makes an impact on the offense by running the football out of the backfield and catching the ball out of the backfield. His dedication and leadership are critical in our success.”

Sedrick Irvin Jr. has been working and practicing football for years in hopes of making it to the next level. His hard work and dedication have paid off with a scholarship to play football at the University of Notre Dame, a crucial step in helping to achieve his goals.