What Now for the Class of 2021?

Pedro Schmeil, Staff Writer and Video editor

Due to the novel coronavirus, many establishments and events have been closing and are cancelled to incentivize people to stay home and practice social distancing. From these events, many students have been complaining about missing out on the high school experience. The class of 2020, for example, will not have a senior prom, grad bash, and potentially graduation. 

Another class that has been affected is the class of 2021. Juniors, who are focusing on college and preparing to apply, are greatly impacted by the unprecedented changes. The college boot camp hosted by counselors to help students feel more prepared for the application process will be postponed at this point or cancelled. Counselors have been having meetings to talk about the junior class and what they are going to do.

“We’ll be sending information home, and have zoom meetings so we can still get some of that programming that would have happened from now that students may miss,” said college counselor Sarah Compel.“We’ll be sending information soon. Counselors have been meeting to talk about each grade level and of course 11th grade is our primary focus because they are missing a chunk of college stuff.”   

The ACT, Inc. standardized test company logo displayed on a smartphone in a photo illustration. The ACT has been rescheduled to June 13 in response to concerns regarding the spread of the coronavirus. (Igor Golovniov/SOPA Images/LightRocket/Getty Images/TNS)

Standardizing testing, such as SAT and ACT, have been cancelled for the time being, the next offer SAT is on June 6 and this will be the last test date for this school year. The next ACT will be on June 13th with another test date on July 18. These are the dates for testing on the 2019-2020 year. Students this year are facing less testing dates, and even with these test dates many people are hesitating to take the test or even register since many don’t know what will happen and if social distancing will be over by them. This affects the college process and has gotten many students how they will be applying to college with not standardized testing scores. According to the Los Angeles Times, admission requirements relaxed at all UCs: No SAT or minimum grades. This change means progress, however not all colleges and universities have stepped forward to give their input.

“I took my first SAT this past march 14, and I think that was the last one for this year, they cancelled the May test and they have another test date in june, but I’m not sure I will take the June test because no one knows what will be happening during that time due to COVID-19.” Said junior Maddison Kuci. “This makes me scared about applying to college and not having scores to send in.””

Juniors were highly affected and so were seniors, but people are being really understanding about it and have been very flexible with requirements. 

Note from the author: We are all being affected by the coronavirus and we should not compete to see who has it worst, we need to stick together to get through this. Stay safe, wash your hands and practice social distancing.