New Coach Mark Richt a Perfect Fit for UM Football

TNS
Miami head coach Mark Richt celebrates after a 35-21 win against Georgia Tech at Bobby Dodd Stadium in Atlanta on Saturday, Oct. 1, 2016. (Hyosub Shin/Atlanta Journal-Constitution/TNS)

The University of Miami football program has experienced a complete makeover at the helm since the departure of former head coach Al Golden during this offseason. The team needed a change at the head coach position, and Mark Richt fell right into their hands.

Richt was the head football coach at the University of Georgia since 2001. His coaching led to 11 seasons with nine wins or more during his 15-year tenure with the school. The Bulldogs had their eyes set on making the 2015 SEC Championship, and when Richt fell just short of those expectations, he was dismissed from the program.

However, the arrival of Coach Richt to Miami has brought a new feel to this year’s Hurricanes football team. Richt was a quarterback for the Hurricanes in the early ‘80s, so to say he knows the program well may be an understatement. The ‘80s, ‘90s and even early 2000s, were some of Miami’s peak years, as the ‘Canes brought home 5 national championships during that span.

Coach Richt did not come alone to Miami, as the majority of the new staff has ties to Richt. One of the biggest standouts is first-year defensive coordinator Manny Diaz. Under Diaz, the Hurricanes have made vast improvements on the defensive end this season thus far allowing under 20 points per game to opponents. Another notable member of the staff is his son Jon Richt, who serves as the quarterback coach. Some of the changes by the new staff have already become noticeable by players.

“Practice is more up beat and faster,” said player Mitch Davis.

The ‘Canes have recently suffered 4 straight losses. However last Saturday they rebounded with a big win over Pitt. Although these losses have been tough to take for the ‘Canes, the coaches know how to keep them focused for the next game.

“Coaches tell us to move forward and learn from the mistakes made in the loss. They let us know things that we could have done better and things that we did great. Also they tell us how much they appreciate the effort given out on the field,” said Davis.

Davis also talked about the rich tradition of the school and how it impacts not only the players and coaches, but the surrounding community of Miami itself.

“It’s a great tradition out there. Many great players have played at the University of Miami and I’m just honored to be a part of a team and brand that is well known around the country for a long time. A lot of athletes would love to be a part of this family so I’m lucky and blessed to have this opportunity,” said Davis.