Senior Captains expect to lead young team

Varsity football team looks to recover from rough start to the season.

dsc_0858It has not been easy for the football team this year, having to replace key talent and dealing with two heartbreaking losses to begin the season.

The most recent loss was to Monsignor Pace by a score of 35-7 on Sep. 16 during a road game.

The team is changing its pace because several D-1 Athletes from last year’s team have had to be replaced, including six different 3+ star players that graduated. Another issue that has come up this season are the many injuries to key players.

“If we get healthy and play all four quarters as a team and as hard as we can, then we can be great,” said senior Mandy Alonso.

There are many skilled players on the team. Robert Burns, one of the most highly touted running backs in the 2017 class, is hoping for a successful senior season.

“Our running game is definitely the strongest part, we have a talented group of guys that can do a lot of positives for our running game, coming out of the backfield,” said Burns.

The team has already noticed some improvements in practice.

“Our biggest improvement has been our communication as a team, which is crucial to the well being of the team as it brings confidence,” said Burns.

The team practiced every day leading up to their first game against Celebration on Aug. 27, losing at the last second. The team blew a nine-point fourth quarter lead, and allowed two straight late touchdowns. However, the team did not let that bring them down as they rebounded with a huge 56-6 win against Somerset. The team was firing on all cylinders as their offense and defense dominated for a near perfect game.

Following the win, the team played Belen at home. The Raiders had taken the lead late in the game but a late fumble set up good field position for Belen who scored on the ensuing drive for the win.

Fans can support the team at their next game, on the road against Admiral Farragaut on Oct. 7.