• May 10 - Seniors' Last Day
  • May 20 - Last day to submit entries for Reflections Literary Magazine
  • May 24 - Last Day of School

Top 6 Tips From PHEs for HIP Interviews

Understanding+that+applicants+may+develop+nerves+before+an+interview%2C+Vice+President+senior+Avery+Simon+recommends+a+simple+yet+effective+method+for+emotional+and+physical+readiness.+
Fernanda Mazariegos
Understanding that applicants may develop nerves before an interview, Vice President senior Avery Simon recommends a simple yet effective method for emotional and physical readiness.

Interviews for the Health Information Project’s (HIP) 2023-2024 cohort of Peer Health Educators (PHEs) began on March 18 and are ongoing. With over 90 sophomore applications, current students in the program shared their top six pieces of advice for ensuring a great interview experience. 

1. Make sure you are well prepared.

Emphasizing the need for readiness, HIP Secretary senior Ana Catherine Guimaraes advises applicants to take steps to ensure they have the knowledge and information necessary to answer interview questions thoroughly. 

“The program is dedicated to peer-to-peer health education, so make sure to know a little bit about the program and what you hope to accomplish as a PHE before you go in for your interview,” Guimaraes said.   

2. Take a deep breath. 

“For many [applicants], interviewing can be a new and scary experience, so try to calm down before your interview,” Simon said. “This can look different for many people, but one good tip is to take a deep breath before you begin.”

3. Introduce your authentic self. 

Due to the large number of people interviewing for a PHE position, HIP Social Media Specialist senior Fernanda Mazariegos suggests methods for applicants to stand out. 

“The interview allows you to introduce yourself to the HIP board. Don’t be afraid to discuss personal interests or experiences that showcase who you are,” Mazariegos said.

Some of these unique traits that applicants can mention may include a passion for teaching, community involvement, or an interest in the healthcare field, to name a few. 

4. Show that you care. 

“The interview is led by students who truly care about HIP and its mission, so make sure to demonstrate that the program matters to you, too,” PHE junior Otto Hellmund said. 

Showing passion for HIP’s mission allows applicants to connect with the interviewers and demonstrate a good fit for the program. This may look like showing an extensive understanding of the program due to prior research or highlighting personal stories that strongly align with HIP’s values. 

5. Display confidence. 

Highlighting the need for self-assurance, PHE senior Annabella Cordovez discusses her observations when interviewing applicants. 

“When a PHE conveys confidence during their interview, it is always reassuring. It makes the interviewer feel like the PHE knows what they are talking about,” Cordovez said. 

In addition to good posture, some features of a candidate that exudes high self-confidence include strong eye contact and audible speech.

6. Have fun!

Finally, to ease the process, HIP Secretary junior Tatiana Aizemberg recommends that candidates take a lighthearted approach to the interview. 

“The interview is the last part of the application process, so just relax and have fun with it. You can use the interview to showcase your personality, which might not have come through on the written application,” Aizemberg said.  

These five tips underscore the importance of an authentic and enthusiastic approach to the interview aspect of the HIP application. Good luck to all aspiring PHEs!