The Boys Lacrosse Team Looks to Make History

Junior Jordi Quirch celebrates after the raiders score a goal. They scored a total of 12 goals which was able to propel them to a commanding win. (Photo by Gabriella Memmen used with permission)

The boys varsity lacrosse team is off to a historic start with a record of 14 wins and only one loss, the best start in the program’s history.

This season is different from prior ones due to the fact that they already have more wins towards the end of the season than they did all of last season.

“Right now we are way more focused than we were at any point last season which is definitely a big reason why we are winning so much more,” senior David Lopez said.

Having an older team can play a major role in a team’s success and can be an advantage as older players usually have a better understanding of the game. The team is currently led by a total of 12 seniors who ensure that the team is the best it can be.

“Having an older team is really beneficial to us because a lot of these guys are experienced and they know what they are doing. They also have great chemistry since most of them have been playing with each other for these last four years,” Head Coach Erik Cartelle said.

In their most recent win against Belen Jesuit Preparatory School, the Raiders’ biggest rival school, the Raiders won in dominating fashion with a score of 14-7.

“The best part about this season so far is definitely that we’re able to just go out there and have fun and this being a lot of our last season playing lacrosse, we are definitely making the most out of every game,” senior captain Benji Berger said.

Although the team is having an incredible season so far, they are not yet satisfied with their record and they feel as if there is unfinished business according to senior Michele Pascucci. 

“So far we have accomplished so much as far as wins go but at the end of the day the most important thing is winning a championship,” Pascucci said.

With just two games left in the regular season, the team is already prepared for what is to come in the playoffs.

“We know that the road to states isn’t easy but we are ready to accept that challenge,” senior Brandon Rosenthal said.

The Raiders will play their next game on Thursday, April 4 at Sean Taylor ‘01 Memorial Field against Saint Andrews where they hope to continue this historic season.