Cultures of the World Celebrated at “It’s A Small World” Annual Event

Chase Samole
Two students carry the Uruguayan flag. Each year, the assembly begins with a flag parade consisting of every country represented through the student body. Students often cheer loudest for the countries they are from.

Students and teachers gathered for the “It’s a Small World” event on March 6. Students participated in cultural presentations during the assembly in the Blue Dungeon and, in addition, students enjoyed small snacks and desserts from different countries brought by their classmates during both lunch periods.

The cultural event was organized by the World Languages Department since the beginning of the school year. Senior Luiz Gandelman and junior Helena Hermann took on the role of introducing the event to the assembly.

“An event like ‘It’s a Small World’ is extremely crucial – not just for our community, but for our development as people,” Gandelman explained. “It is important to celebrate the tapestry of cultures that make up Gulliver, as they are a beautiful medley from around the world, and one that can enrich us with a cultural understanding that will serve us far beyond our years as Raiders.”

The assembly had a variety of different events such as musical pieces, traditional tai chi, a performance by the Sundancers and a speech by Univision News President Leopoldo Gomez.

“Growing up in Miami, I’ve always loved Spanish culture,” said Sundancer junior Georgia Easton. “That was a big reason why it was so fun to dance to Spanish music. I was able to do what I love, listen to fun music, and have all my classmates and teachers cheering us on made it feel even better.”

On Friday, March 8, the event continued with cultural booths scattered in the area in front of the student union that showcased cultural artifacts, on-site international cuisine, and art by local artists. The booths were open for interaction during both lunch periods and during counseling to accommodate anyone who wished to stop by.

“There is a very multicultural student body here, so we must celebrate all our students and show our pride and identity,” said Spanish teacher and organizer Maria Eva Molina. “At the same time, we are language teachers, so we believe that culture and languages play a very important role in the world.”