Water Polo Season Kicks Off in Orlando Tournament

Senior and Captain Gabe Lewis has possession of the ball and is about to shoot. Lewis scored nine goals in the tournament last weekend and provided the team with 7 assists. He believes that he is capable of leading the boys team to a state championship title. (Photo by Miguel Piedra used with permission)

The girls and boys Varsity Water Polo teams kicked off their season last weekend in the Winter Park Wildcat Tournament in Orlando.

The teams took advantage of the tournament to kick off their season and prepare for future games.Both teams ended the tournament with two wins and two losses. The girls team lost to Winter Park (13-11) and Seminole (10-7), but beat Oviedo (16-1) and Lake Brantley (11-9). The boys team lost to Winter Park (9-8) and Dr. Phillips (14-11), but beat Seminole (14-7) and Lake Brantley (17-4).

Sophomore Sebastian Piedra was one of the Raiders best players of the tournament on the boys side. He was responsible for scoring 12 goals and had four assists. Piedra is excited for the season ahead of the team and is glad to be scoring goals early in the season.

“Even though we lost games we shouldn’t be losing, I feel like this tournament was important for us to wake up and realize that no one is playing around,” Piedra said. “I am happy to have helped the team by scoring goals and being the leading top scorer of the team in the tournament.”

Head Coach Carroll Vaughan gives instructions to the girls varsity water polo team during halftime of their game. Captain Kathleen Serig scored 21 goals this tournament and sophomore Sophia Kingston scored eight goals. The girls believe they have a good shot at winning states this year. (Eduardo Kingston)

On the girls side, sophomore Sophia Kingston was responsible for scoring eight goals and providing five assists to her teammates.. Kingston advances to become a very important player for the girls team after playing since seventh grade. 

“Throughout my years of playing water polo I feel like this year will be the one that I will play my very best. I have improved a lot and am very excited for this season ahead of us,” Kingston said. “I’m proud to contribute to the girls performance by scoring goals in this last tournament.” 

This tournament was a great way for the Raiders to scout how the other teams are doing in the beginning of the season.

“This tournament was important for us since it allowed us to see how our team is in comparison to others. I believe both teams will start to put in extra work so that at the end of the season we will both have the State Championship ring,” Captain and senior Gabe Lewis said.

The Raiders are back in the water today at 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. where they will be facing Cutler Bay Senior High Sharks at the Upper School pool.