Raider Basketball: Home Opener

The Varsity Basketball team takes a picture together for the Annual Celebration of Raider Madness. Food and drinks were served as the team later played for family and friends. Overall, the ceremony was a success as everybody rejoiced.

The varsity basketball team will take on the Terra Wolves today, following an upsetting loss at Florida Christian last Monday. The Raiders suffered a heartbreaking loss against one of the best teams in the county, losing by only three points.

Despite the defeat, the Raiders are looking to bounce back for their first home game with a win at the Blue Dungeon. To prepare, the team has worked on adapting and making necessary adjustments.

“We’ve definitely been more competitive in practice trying to get each other ready for the next game. We’ve been working on a lot of shooting, especially contested shots, we couldn’t make shots in our last game” Roberts said.

Starting Guard, Jackson Mansfield glances over his teammates playing against each other at Raider Madness. This was a ‘fun’ scrimmage between the players, as they split them up into two different teams. (Gabriella Memmen)

According to players, determination is at the forefront, as the team has to battle through adversity to overcome certain challenges. With communication and confidence, there is no doubt the Raiders win the games to come.

“Our team definitely seems more connected and focused since the loss because we know we can make a deep run this year if we clean up some small things, especially after being in such a close game against one of the best teams in the county,” Flores John said.

With a change in game planning, the team is poised to prove themselves in the upcoming matchup today. The hope is that they can execute their techniques and fundamentals at an elevated pace compared to their previous performance.

“The lessons that we learned from Florida Christian were executing plays and boxing out. This will apply to Terra as we have practiced all our stuff and are more than ready for the game” Brown said.

As the basketball team approaches their second game, the last loss serves as a motivator. With determination and the valuable lessons gained, the team is ready to turn the tide and write a new chapter for their young season.