Spanish Students Take a Trip to Calle Ocho, Exploring Miami’s Cuban Influence

The beats of conga drums and salsa music and dominos clapping against each other filled the air as students stepped off the bus on Calle Ocho on Nov. 13 where they enriched their knowledge on Hispanic culture and on the Cuban influence within Miami’s community. It was a way for students to learn more about Miami’s Cuban community and how it has evolved over time. 

“This is a special field trip and a requirement for this level as we learn and establish a meaningful connection between our curriculum and our local community. Students were immersed in the history, social dynamics, and artistic expressions of our Hispanic community through the exploration of historical Little Havana,” Spanish teacher Maria Eva Molina said.

Students attended a two hour tour guided by a local expert who took the students to many different traditional Cuban places such as La Frutería “Los Pinareños” (a local food market), Futurama (a Cuban art store), and La heladería “Azúcar” (a local ice cream shop). The tour came to an end in El restaurante Ball & Chain where each student enjoyed a traditional Cuban meal.

“My favorite part of the trip was getting to taste Cuban food, live through Cuban culture for a day, and experience Cuban music. Also, I really enjoyed getting to know my classmates better and forming a bond with them,” senior Paloma Pinnilia said.

The trip also brought an opportunity for students to learn new things and participate in many different activities for the first time. 

“I had a blast during this trip, I was able to learn various different new things,” junior Thais Blas said. “I loved getting the chance to play dominos with my classmates, and be able to experience a little bit of Cuban culture,” she added. 

Calle Ocho was created in 1978, as a way for Cuban immigrants to immerse themselves in American culture and provide them with a taste of what Cuba is like. Today, Calle Ocho is known as a “Natural Treasure” because it is a place where many different cultures come together to experience the Cuban culture and way of living.