• May 10 - Seniors' Last Day
  • May 20 - Last day to submit entries for Reflections Literary Magazine
  • May 24 - Last Day of School

The Jewish Student Union Presents on The Ongoing Israel-Hamas War

Leigh Husband
Board members of The Jewish Student Union (JSU) took turns presenting on the current Israel-Hamas war during a presentation titled, “Understanding the Hamas War on Israel”. JSU board members hosted the community event to foster education and understanding. They also aimed to address misinformation and the rise in antisemitism that often accompanies discussion about the Israel-Hamas War.

The Jewish Student Union (JSU) hosted a community event last week, geared towards fostering education and understanding about the current Israel-Hamas war. During the event, JSU board members delivered a presentation titled “Understanding the Hamas War on Israel”.

“The purpose of this event [was] to educate the student body, faculty, and staff on the current events that are happening in Israel and the war Hamas launched against Israel,” JSU Co-President Sara Gelrud said.

The event also aimed to cultivate a more compassionate community, promoting an atmosphere wherein respectful discussions about sensitive issues can take place.

“It is crucial to ensure that everyone is aware of what’s going on and that everyone’s voices are heard to ensure no one is misunderstood and everyone has a safe space at school,” JSU Co-President Luiz Gandelman said.

JSU board members were motivated to organize this event due to the misinformation and the rise in antisemitism that often accompanies discussion about the Israel-Hamas War.

“With all the disinformation spreading on social media and all the anti-Semitic rhetoric that is happening in the news and on social media that almost everyone is seeing, I think it is more important now than ever that JSU takes the initiative to showcase their community, showcase all the good things that they have to offer, and also make the facts known.”

Members of the school community gathered in the Student Union, united by a shared desire to learn more about the complexities of the conflict, and to support to their peers.

“I wanted to support the Jewish Community and I wanted to learn about [the conflict]. It is really helpful to be educated on a subject that goes back hundreds and hundreds of years because misinformation and miseducation can lead to a lot of issues and harm,” senior Avery Simon said.

The event ended with a call to action, encouraging community members to use their voice for good. It also introduced a schoolwide contest in partnership with Compete for Peace, a non-profit organization committed to promoting peace awareness. The contest allows student to submit their idea on peace through a variety of different art forms.

“I think I will submit an entry because it gives me the ability to promote peace in a time of disunity,” senior Ella Barras said. “And I think it is important because it gives students the ability to further their understanding while combatting prejudice“.