Netflix’s “Bridgerton:” Drama, Glamour, and Scandal

Liam Daniel/Netflix/TNS

Phoebe Dynevor as Daphne Bridgerton and Regé-Jean Page as Simon Basset in “Bridgerton.”

Sabrina Bierman, Social Media Editor

For most of us, this winter break was dull, to say the least. I myself enjoyed an unwanted staycation. Finding myself desperate to travel from the confines of my bedroom, I resorted to the next best thing: Netflix. I spent hours browsing through TV series and movies that I had already seen a dozen times before, until I came across “Bridgerton.” The show, a brand new TV series created by Chris Van Dusen, is based on a series of novels written by Julia Quinn and initially caught my attention not only because it was recommended to me by my mother, but also because of its dramatic trailer, which gave me a mere taste of the drama, glamour, and scandal the show entails.

At first I was skeptical. I’m not the biggest history enthusiast, and I do not tend to stray from shows that include an attractive male lead and the dramatic travails of suspiciously mature-looking high school students, but I was in desperate need of an escape. “Bridgerton” provided me with that escape. I found myself in 19th-century Regency London, during the season in which debutantes presented themselves at court. Think glamorous balls, colorful, extravagant gowns and jewelry, palatial homes and, of course, dashing lords, dukes and princes. I was immersed within minutes. This show is certainly not lacking in dramatics either, as it centers around high society debutantes and their families, facing exposés from an anonymous gossip columnist by the name of “Lady Whistledown.”

Aside from the drama, glitz and glamour of “Bridgerton,” what I most appreciated about the show was its progressive take on race. Its producer, Shonda Rhimes, was able to bring a new perspective to 19th-century England. Rather than an oligarchy entirely composed of white people, as it was historically, the world of “Bridgerton” features representation of people of all races in the ruling class. Diversity is often lacking in Hollywood, which is why shows with a racially diverse cast, such as “Bridgerton,” are so important. I for one am tired of seeing an all-white starring cast in the shows I watch, even if it may be historically accurate.

Overall, I would definitely recommend “Bridgerton” to anyone who finds themselves in need of a brief escape from reality. The lively soundtrack and witty banter between the characters, as well as the aforementioned drama, glamour, and scandal, provide the perfect distraction.