Special Olympics 5K Run succeeds with over 400 participants and money raised for great cause

452+Participants+took+on+the+Special+Olympics+5k+run.+The+fundraiser+was+a+tremendous+success.+Photos+by+Julian+Concepcion.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

452 Participants took on the Special Olympics 5k run. The fundraiser was a tremendous success. Photos by Julian Concepcion.

Julian Concepcion, Contributing Writer

On Sunday, Apr. 7, 650 gathered at the Prep campus for the Special Olympics 5k run, with 452 participants. The course began at the Prep, looped around part of the Village of Pinecrest, and ended on the Sean Taylor Memorial athletic field where attendees were treated to food, refreshments, and music. The school sponsored the 5k event to raise funds for Special Olympics.

“I think that having an event like this in the school shows what kind of community support we have,” Darlene Perez, parent of freshman Felipe Perez said.

Company sponsors provided banners, food, games, and more.

“I thought that the course was really nice, and the refreshments at the end really gave the run a nice finish,” Academy 8th grader Sienna Alonso said.

The event raised $65,000, including approximately $4,000 dollars from the school.