Colombia Progresa Seeks to Help Underprivileged Children

Colombia Progresa is a non-profit organization seeking to improve the lives and chances of children from underprivileged neighborhoods in Colombia. The organization focuses on gathering funds for scholarships as well as building and rebuilding facilities for children and families.

Colombia Progresa receives donations from various sources, and include monetary contributions, school supplies, and clothing. Once items are sorted, they are packed and sent to Colombia through mail or taken with members for distribution.
“It depends on the projects but we visit very often to oversee the projects and visit children,” said president of organization Beatriz Fernandez.

In the last six years, 33 institutions in Colombia have benefited from donations. Children have received donations of over 33,000 pounds of toys and clothing. Along with supplies donations select students of elementary, high school and some college level courses are supported with academic scholarships from donations.

To date, 410 scholarships are distributed between ten different schools and colleges. These academic scholarships allow students to afford textbooks and school supplies. The organization receives the majority of the funds from an annual event held for the sponsors.

Different programs are sponsored in each school to focus on a subject like arts, math or sciences. Students also receive breakfast, lunch and dinner. Sponsors receive updates on the status of the child that they are supporting. Letters and occasional photos are sent to check the progress of the child.

Supplies like backpacks, pencils, notebooks and clothing from ages 0-15 in are collected yearly, as well as learning games like puzzles.

“We accept new and used supplies as long as they are in good conditions,” said Fernandez.

Students are working towards creating a school club to raise awareness for the organization.  In the meantime, those who wish to donate may do so and earn community service hours.

“I think its an amazing idea and it’s great to be able to help students my age or younger,” said junior Alexia Planos.

*
*

*

Those seeking to donate please contact Marcela Royo at marceroyo13@gmail.com or visit http://www.colombiaprogresa.org/english/