Volunteering on and off the field: senior Patricio Hernandez-Ysasi recognized for his talents by local media

G.O.A.L.S. president Patricio Hernandez-Ysasi and club member senior Hansine Vexlund volunteer at one of the events striving to provide kids with Autism a safe and fun environment to play soccer. Photo provided by Patricio Hernandez-Ysasi.

On Tuesday, April 3, Jen Herrera an anchor from Channel 10 News interviewed Senior Patricio Hernadez-Ysasi, for her segment “Random Acts of Kindness”. The interview focused on his community service efforts through the G.O.A.L.S club.

The G.O.A.L.S club, which is also known as Get Out and Love Soccer, sponsors’ free soccer clinics for kids within the Autism spectrum. It gives the kids a safe and active environment to enjoy soccer. It also helps the parents, who strive to provide their kids with the ability to be involved in a sport.

“This club allowed me to get involved in the community while doing something I truly loved and cared about. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to help expand the club, not only in members and volunteers but also as it was initiated in different schools,” said Patricio Hernandez-Ysasi.

During the interview Patricio revealed that he was nervous, but as soon as he started talking about why he loved giving back to the community through the sport he loves, it was less stressful.

“Patricio has been dedicated for over three years to make this community service club truly a success. Patricio has had an impact within the autism community.  One time I had a parent contact me from out of the state, he said he saw our events advertised and wanted to bring his son.  We also had families from homestead, Miramar, as well as Dade County. He has accomplished this by breaking attendance records, working with returning alumni, and contacting local high schools and providing them with a proposal to mirror G.O.A.L.S. and expand it to other schools in Dade county and Broward county,” said Ms. Yaritza Roman.

Patricio is not only involved in G.O.A.L.S but he is also vice president of the Charitable Arts club at school. During the summer, Patricio continues to give back to the community by volunteering at Shake a Leg Miami.

“Everyone should try to find what they have a passion for and try to use it to make a positive impact on the community. Once you get involved you forget it is to help others and begin to really enjoy it. In the end it turns out that you gain more from the experience then you previously thought,” said Hernandez-Ysasi.